Spring is in bloom and it’s time to get the kids outside and your garden started! Getting kids excited for gardening can be a little challenging so here are some fun ideas to get them started.
- Hanging Plastic Tomato Planters: These planters are an easy and fun way to grow tomatoes in your garden, without taking up lots of space. And with the low level of difficulty, this is a great way to get your kids involved in the garden. Be sure to help them get started by cutting the bottles for them and poking in holes. Check out this article to see exactly how to make these planters.
- Egg Carton Greenhouse: This hack is an easy way to get your seeds started before you plant them in your garden! Simply have your kids use an old egg carton and fill each individual egg slot with moist soil. They must then plant the seeds and seal the egg carton with plastic (a bread bag should work for size). Once some holes are poked in the bag to create enough air flow, they will have a mini greenhouse and can watch their seeds grow over the following days!
- Butterfly Feeder: This amazing article from Mother Rising shows us how to raise butterflies and then create a feeder to put in the garden upon their release. Kids will be fascinated watching their caterpillars transform into butterflies and even more excited to decorate a feeder for their butterflies to come back to!
- Garden Markers: We LOVE this idea from Adventure in a Box! What a fun and creative way to spice up your garden markets and get your kids involved. All you’ll need for this is acrylic paint, paintbrushes and the rocks you want to use as your markers! Set up a painting station outside so they can paint as you garden.
- Mini Plant Pots: Here is another painting project to get your kids excited for gardening. Let them customize their plant pots before they start growing their plants. We recommend small flowers with easy maintenance for these so they get the best results!